Haenertsburg Accommodation - ABOUT

Haenertsburg Self-Catering Accommodation Header

The story behind ‘The Pennefather Gold Mining Company Limited’ Cottages and Trading Posts in Haenertsburg
Extract from the book ‘Thar’s gold in them thar hills’ Haenertsburg 1887-1907,
published by Professor Louis Changuion.

 
 

In January 2005, Linda Wilkinson consulted with Prof Louis Changuion about her idea to built six self-catering cottages in Haenertsburg, in the style of the period when the Village was founded more than a hundred years ago. Together they decided to imitate the period 1887, when Haenertsburg was founded to about 1907.  This was twenty odd years, interrupted by the Anglo Boer War (1899 – 1902), in which the Village had a bit of a “boom” because of the gold that was mined in the area.  

They decided to create a street scene with two shops and six cottages, all in the wood and corrugated iron style of the time. They studied buildings of that period and many old photographs of the time.  They also agreed to  use authentic names from the history of Haenertsburg and specifically of that period.

The name ‘The Pennefather Gold Mining Company Limited’ was decided on as it was a very well-known mining concern in those days.  The remains of this mine can still be seen up against the mountain.  The two trading stores was also given mining company names – ‘New Found out’ and Never Despair’. 

The six cottages were named after well-known figures. The names being Karl Mauch, the man who discovered the gold that led to the founding of the village; Ferdinand Haenert, the man after whom the village was named; Doel Zeederberg, the man who took the initiative to start the coach service; H. Rider Haggard, the man who was first to use the folklore and history of this area in his many books, Long Tom, the heavy Boer artillery piece that was used here for the last time and Prester John, the title of the book by John Buchan set in this area. (More details on these names and the history behind them on the accommodation page)

 

Through the years the complex developed and grew and in 2011 Linda saw an opportunity to renovate an old building next to her complex which became the well-known Memory Hold-The-Door second-hand bookshop.

 

 

 

   

 

 

Web Design by JMGrafixx