The Haenertsburg Museum is predominantly a cultural history museum with one small section on natural history. Professor Louis Changuion,  says: “My focus, when researching, collecting and selecting for the museum, was and still is on the village and surrounds only – loosely referred to as ‘The Mountain'”

The signage/captions are in three languages, English, Afrikaans and Northern Sotho. The displays are in chronological order and are divided into 5 periods, starting with:
1.  Pre-1860: Before the White man came
Divided into three sub-sections each with a display cabinet with artifacts on that period:
Pre-History; Early Black cultures; Later Black Cultures

2.  The Period 1860 – 1887: Arrival of the White man; Divided into two sub-sections each with a display cabinet with artifacts on that period: The Missionaries and Indigenous wood extraction and Early Gold Mining

3.The Period 1887 – 1896
Divided into two sub-sections each with a display cabinet with artifacts on that period:
The Founding of Haenertsburg, 1887, and The Magoeba War, 1895 – 1896

4.The Anglo-Boer War, 1899 – 1902
Two display cabinets with artifacts on the war

5.20th Century Developments
Divided into three sub-sections each with a display cabinet on that period: The period of New Settlers; The period of Afforestation and More Characters in our History

6.Our Natural Environment
The plan for future development is eventually to have all the hundreds of photos, maps, documents, newspaper cuttings and other material filed and made available in the museums. Our believe is that a museum should not only be a place of interest for visitors but a research centre as well.
You will be able to find an interesting selection of books on the area, many of them written by Prof Louis Changuion. There is an interesting book called “Our Corner of the World” in which the history of Haenertsburg and environs over 125 years is portrayed in pictures. A very nostalgic journey for those of us who have been here for a long time! This book is available at Memory Hold-the-Door Bookshop at The Pennefather.